Wednesday, November 2, 2011

What a week

The past week has been crazy at the Pfantz household.  Last Friday night, I went to Des Moines for the night so my family and I could take my kids to night eyes.  Ryan came home, got Drake and went out into the tractor.  Ryan took Drake with him so he wasn't cooped up in the house all day/night.  He could get out and run a little when Ryan got out.  It was great intentions.  Until, once when Drake was trying to get out of the tractor, Drake caught his paw on the grates of the steps and broke his foot.  Of course, Ryan didn't think it was that bad and waited until the next Monday to take him to the vet.  They said he broke two bones in his foot.  They could try to set it and cast it or do surgery with pins.  We opted to try and set it first and see if it works.  So far, I think it is working.  Even with his cast, he is starting to put more weight on it, so that is good news!

Then came Wednesday night.  Ryan and Evan were carving pumpkins.  I was cleaning pumpkin seeds/putting dishes in the dishwasher.  Bria came along and started getting the silverware out of the dishwasher.  That would be fine, but she was grabbing knives.  So I asked Evan to come shut the door for me since my hands were disgusting.  As Evan tried to shut it, Bria kept her arm in.  Evan continued to push and push as he was frustrated it wouldn't close and didn't know why.  Bria began crying so I grabbed her quickly.  As I grabbed and pulled her out, it dislocated her elbow.  I didn't know that at the time.  I did feel a pop but didn't know what that pop was or her or the dishwasher.  We fed Bria dinner, she ate, but she wouldn't use her arm.  We went off to urgent care.  They couldn't tell what was wrong and didn't have an x-ray.  They thought we could wait until the morning but gave us a sling so she would move her arm.   So the next day, I took Bria to the doctor. After nearly 2 1/2 hours, most of that just waiting to be seen by the doctor, we discovered her elbow was dislocated.  The doctor popped it back in and 5 minutes later she was using it again.  I am so glad it was such an easy fix.  It could have been so much worse.  I hated the doctor though.  He made me feel like the worst mother in the world.  I was standing 6 inches away from Bria when it happened so it's not that I was being neglectful. 

Friday, Bria woke up with pink eye.  I'm glad it was Friday because my mom has them and I didn't have to take a day off.  Luckily, I had medicine.  Today, Evan woke up with Pink eye.  I had to take a day off.  I HATE missing school.  It's just so much work to be gone/get caught up on what a sub doesn't get done.  I am thankful the subs are there though. 

Just a few quick updates on the kids.  BRIA IS FINALLY WALKING!  She actually started walking about a month ago.  It still looks so funny seeing her walking around.  I love it.  Once she started, she progressed really fast.  She's pretty sturdy on her feet already!  She is trying to talk to much too.  She says quite a few words.  Sometimes I have to think really hard about what she is saying though to figure it out. 

Evan is about the same.  He is such a happy camper.  I started a bad habit of letting him cuddle with me until Ryan comes to bed.  Now he wants to do it every night.  I would love that, but I have to limit it to 1-2 times a week. 

Sunday, I had a random idea.  All of the sudden I decided to take out the dinning room table and put all of Evan and Bria's toys in there and make a little playroom.  I absolutely love it.  We never used that table except for birthday parties.  So now we are actually utilizing that space.  It also makes or living room seem bigger and less messy! 

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Don't you love doctors that have no people skills?! I'm sure you felt bad enough about the whole situation and for Bria and for him to make you feel that way is ridiculous. So glad everything turned out ok! --Jamie